Old June 19th 07, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Steve is offline

Default DLR tunnel construction at King George V

Took a trip to King George V the other day, and was initially
surprised to see a very substantial concrete wall across the formation
beyond the buffer stops, separating the operational DLR from the
construction site. I would have expected a steel mesh fence of the
type which normally surrounds construction sites.

My initial thought was that it was there to protect the DLR from
flooding in the event of a tunnel breach during construction, but the
lie of the land suggested that the trackbed at that point was well
above the normal river level. I can only think that, being east of the
Thames Barrier, it's a temporary part of the Thames flood defences
and will be removed when the barriers either side of the extension -
on both sides of the river - are complete. Does that sound about
right?

Steve Adams