Old June 22nd 07, 08:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
W14_Fishbourne W14_Fishbourne is offline

Default Stagecoach win East Midlands franchise

On Jun 22, 9:20 am, Chris Tolley wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

Once again, we see the magic of the franchise bidding system at work.
Promise a huge premium to win the bid, then get the customers to foot
the bill for it.

Who else do you think is going to pay for it? Don't forget that as use
of the network increases off-peak is becoming almost as busy as the
peak. Off-peak fares were low to encourage people to fill otherwise
empty seats. If there aren't so many empty seats...

I think you'll still see very low bargain fares available - it's
mainly the off-peak walk-up fares that'll be affected.

On another topic entirely, this announcement means that National
Express - once the biggest owner of TOCs is now down to one railway
and c2c. (I expect these two TOCs to be merged, making the name "one"
strangely prophetic!)