Old June 23rd 07, 08:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Stagecoach win East Midlands franchise

In message , at 08:37:33 on
Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Peter Masson remarked:

"Philip" wrote

I thought the DfT specified that Nottingham fasts include a Derby
portion that would be split off at Leicester. Surely not a good idea
due to reduced capcity for Nottingham in particular. Is this still
proposed?

AIUI the plan to split at Leicester has been dropped. Instead, a 5th train
will run each hour, a far as Kettering (and possibly Corby). This presumably
means that one of the existing stoppers will be accelerated by omitting some
stops south of Kettering, to be replaced by the 5th train, and will mean
that Market Harborough keeps 2 trains per hour.

So perhaps Derby will get a fast and a semi-fast [maybe Kettering,
Leicester and EMP only], and Nottingham a fast and the (one remaining
long distance) stopper?

Will mean people travelling from (eg) Luton to Derby will be forced to
change trains at Kettering [1], Leicester or EMP [2]. Also explains the
meagre 2tph at EMP (I was expecting nearly all trains to stop there;
heck, if it's 2tph *overall* then are the ex-CT trains on that stretch
of line running straight through?).

[1] If they leave Luton on the 1tph Kettering stopper
[2] Further opportunities if they leave Luton on the 1tph Nottingham
stopper.