Old June 26th 07, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

On Jun 26, 8:19?pm, Mystery Flyer wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:
"Mystery Flyer" wrote in message
Was platform 1 at Clapham Junction ever used?

There are a load of disused sidings behind it so the right of the Putney
line looking towards Putney. What were these for?

Is the disuse related to the ghost platform at Queenstown Road all painted
blue with 'don not alight here'

Just curious. I always like to know why things fall into disuse.

I don't believe the changes were are in any way connected, but I cannot
recall the exact usage of CJ platform 1.

The platform arrangement at Queenstown Rd changed when the track usage was
altered to allow for the Stewarts Lane/Nine Elms flyover for Eurostar. The
4 tracks for the WIndsor direction used to reduce to 3 just west of
Queenstown Rd, now they effectively reduce to the 2 platform lines, leaving
the single line on the north side of the formation for empty stock moves
between Eurostar's North Pole depot and the International platforms.

Paul

Thanks very much Paul most informative..

mf- Hide quoted text -

I can remember as late as 1977 (possibly 1978) what is now the disused
platform 1 at Clapham Junction was used for the sorting of mail/
parcels, with a line-up of old B.R. GUV vans etc. parked there, and
material manhandled from one to another. I think those sidings to the
West of this platform were used mainly by mail- and goods-related
rolling stock. Also, there were lifts from platform level to the
overbridge, so that parcels etc. could be taken along the overbridge
to the other platforms (I seem to remember BRUTE trolleys and tractors
once in use there) and the old Parcels office which is adjacent to
Platform 17.

My fondest memory of 1977/9 (my mis-spent youth there, trainspotting!)
is seeing Class 08 / 09 shunters at work in the main central sidings
area, shunting rolling stock from one siding to another.

Although not in personal experience, I remember reading that the
disused platform at Queenstown Road was used by milk-tank carring
wagons for pumping out milk to a dairy that was once situated nearby.

Marc.