Old June 26th 07, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Tim Woodall Tim Woodall is offline

Default seeing the other's view

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:31:49 +0100,
JNugent wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

About time too!! It's not just cyclists who can benefit from this
opportunity, other road users should take the chance to have a look.

A good suggestion, but I think that drivers of motor vehicles fitted
with mirrors are *mostly* already aware of the concept of "blind
spots", etc. The worst risk to cyclists occurs whilst undertaking a
left-turning lorry. If the decision to turn left is made late, the
undertaking cyclist may not be in a position to see when the lorry's
indicators are switched on (all the more reason not to undertake, of
course).

And sometimes large vehicles don't signal at all despite their road
positioning suggesting they're not turning.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/bus/bus.mpg

and if you want to view it frame by frame then it's at
http://www.woodall.me.uk/bus/

Unfortuately, I forgot to charge the batteries in my camera last night
otherwise today I'd have had a video of a bus making the same turn from
the LH lane today.

(If you watch carefully you can see that I do actually slow down and
wait behind the bus before it starts to move - I know that a lot of
buses turn here and I wasn't surprised that this one did)

And here is a classic left hook from a car
http://www.woodall.me.uk/journey/20070604/

Sorry, I don't have an mpg for that one.

Tim.

and there was light.