Old June 26th 07, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default I pay for this ?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:54:55 -0700, wrote:

I could try to explain but I don't think that would help. It was a
particularly awful morning in terms of big signal problems so I'll say
sorry instead given that I work for LU.

Ah yes but signal failures would be down to the (privatised)
infracos!!!! I'm not sure about the Victoria line, but on the
Northern that's the second time in just over a week that there has
been a points failure at Kennington when I was on duty. I blame
Tubelines - and underinvestment in general.

I know a great deal about Tube Lines and the Northern Line as I am
involved in managing the contract with them. We have to deal with the
payment and attribution process so we know what happens with all of
these incidents and how much they cost.

To be strictly fair to Tube Lines (they'll never believe I said that!)
they have brought forward an awful lot of money from later in the
contract to repair Northern Line track and they are expending huge
efforts in trying to get the train reliability back where it should be.
They have spent an awful lot of money to do this and they are pressing
ahead with the signalling upgrade. In addition they have lost a great
deal of money in terms of contractual abatements on the Northern Line
which they are desperate to get out from under. This is why other
spending has been brought forward to repair worn out assets. There are
a lot of issues here and a hell of a lot of effort from people in LU and
Tube Lines to make the Northern Line work. To be strictly fair as well
not every incident or delay on the railway is down to Tube Lines or
Metronet. There is plenty that LU does not get right and LU is taking
the steps to improve its performance too. While I understand why
people wish to target a particular party for blame we must remember that
it is a system and people have to work together to make it all work no
matter we might think about PPP, money, the trade unions or
privatisation.

I'll now be called a TfL Spin Doctor for having written the above
comments!

So do I! And it wasn't my fault!!!

In one sense it wasn't mine in that I didn't go and cause the failures.
I am a senior manager and people who post here are our customers /
passengers (delete as applicable). If Tim O'Toole is prepared to say
sorry and I'm sure he would then there's nothing wrong in me doing it.
Whether people believe I am sincere in what I say is their own
judgement.
--
Paul C