Old June 27th 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default I pay for this ?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:57:47 +0100, "Movilla"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:24:18 +0100, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

I could try to explain but I don't think that would help. It was a
particularly awful morning in terms of big signal problems so I'll say
sorry instead given that I work for LU.

That's the first and only apology from LU (ok, you're not a spokesman but
I'll accept it).

Thank you.

[snip tale of woe]
Buses were not an option.

They would have helped in part in getting you closer to where you were
heading.

I have only got stuck once in a number of years when trying to use my
alternative routes and it is much less stressful to be able to take a
firm decision to go to the stop to catch bus x to get to y.

You should have seen it outside Kings Cross. Try competing with about 500
other people trying to get where they're going. No amount of planning ahead
can prepare you for that.

I can imagine KX was awful but I would contend that making a move
quickly to make progress is still helpful. The other suggestion about
walking back a stop or station to avoid the immediate crowd is also
useful. For your information you could have taken a 205 to Mile End
direct and then changed for a frequent bus to Canary Wharf.

Alternatively a 17 bus would have taken you direct to London Bridge for
the Jubilee Line. Alternatively a Thameslink train might have got you to
London Bridge although I accept the peak frequency is not very good for
that link.

A 45 or 63 bus would take you to Southwark Station to catch the Jubilee
Line.

A 214 or 205 would get you to Moorgate which is but a short walk to Bank
for the DLR. The 205 also serves Aldgate which is a short walk to Tower
Gateway for other DLR services or else stay on to Whitechapel for the
East London Line to Canada Water and then the Jubilee Line.

P.S. I know the staff were under a lot of stress but I heard on various
occasions people saying "well, at least they could apologise and not just
shout at us".

I think part of the reason for this is that passengers are resistant to
obeying evacuation announcements. People don't want to head for the
exit for entirely understandable reasons and they therefore try not to.
It can mean the staff do need to shout to get the message across that
people *have* to leave the station. If the priority is to get people to
a place of safety then perhaps apologies come a little way down the
immediate list of priorities.

--
Paul C