Old June 28th 07, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

Default seeing the other's view

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Conor wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Conor wrote:

In article .com,
says...

Although railfreight has been growing for the last ten years mainly
due to the failure of the road system to deliver reliability. ASDA,
Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsburys have been turning to rail
increasingly for the long stuff.

Wrong.

EDDIE STOBART who runs the warehousing at either end on behalf of
the above has turned to railfreight because Stobarts have their own
railheads and goods trains. Sending loads to Scotch by rail allows
Stobarts to free up lorries to go do other work such as the new
Tesco white goods RDC they're opening up at Goole.

Believe me, lorry journeys haven't been reduced by Stobarts putting
stuff onto rail.

Er, what? If they hadn't put that stuff on rail, they would have had
to buy more lorries for this RDC thing etc. It's not a reduction, but
it is a smaller increase!

Hardly. Still needs to go on a lorry at either end.

Again - er, what? Are you telling me going from a 300 mile lorry journey
to a 280 mile rail journey and two 10 mile truck journeys isn't a
reduction?

tom

It's an increase, minimum 3 drivers minimum 2 lorries and a train, as
against 1 driver and 1 truck.