Old June 28th 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

Default seeing the other's view

John B wrote:
On 28 Jun, 13:48, NM wrote:
It's an increase, minimum 3 drivers minimum 2 lorries and a train, as
against 1 driver and 1 truck.
Lets say 20 lorries
300 miles takes 6 hours for this
10 miles takes 1/2 hour
20 hours lorry driving
4 hours train driving
or
120 hours lorry drivng
This does not include handing

This does not compute, care to expand it into something comprehensible.

It's comprehensible to me, but then I'm not someone who blames the
railways for idiots who drive trucks into them.

What grounds do you have to suppose that's a view I hold.

Translation follows:

If you want to carry 20x lorryloads of freight 300 miles, you can
either:

a) send 20x lorries 300 miles, for a total of 120 hours of lorry
driving

Oh I see, the lorries average 60 mph and never have to return to the
start point, you have a never ending supply of trucks and drivers
exactly where you want them.

or

b) send 20x lorries 10 miles, one train 180 miles, and 20x other
lorries 10 miles, for a total of 20 hours of lorry driving and 4 hours
of train driving.

You are convieniently forgetting the 2 hours needed to load the truck
the 2 hours needed to unload it then the 2 hours needed to load the
train then the 2 hours needed to unload the train then the 2 hours
needed to load truck2 then the 2 hours needed to discharge at the final
destination. 2 hours being a very generous guess as I have waited over
eight hours on numerous occasions for a container to be lifted on.

Plus you are ignoring the increased opportunities for damage and
pilfering that break bulk invites.

And you are expecting a freight train to AVERAGE a totally unrealistic
45 mph

It's been tried and failed now it's being reintroduced for politically
correct reasons as a sop, only a token amount is shipped RCD to RCD by rail.