Old June 29th 07, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Doug Doug is offline

Default seeing the other's view

On 26 Jun, 10:42, "Brimstone" wrote:
About time too!! It's not just cyclists who can benefit from this
opportunity, other road users should take the chance to have a look.

Lorries highlight cycling danger

The dangers posed by lorries to cyclists and pedestrians are to be
highlighted in a road safety event.

Two lorries will be parked in Trafalgar Square, central London, to allow
other road users to see first hand how limited a lorry driver's vision is.

Metropolitan Police figures show that in 2006 nine cyclists were killed in
London in accidents involving lorries.

The two-day event this week follows a campaign launched in March urging
lorry drivers to look out for cyclists.

Ch Insp Mark Bird said: "Lots of people cycle in London and I'd encourage
people to come along and see first hand just how easy the cause of these
types of collisions can be and how easily avoidable they are.

"I have witnessed first hand the devastating affects that losing a loved one
or family member can have, and we are determined to do all we can to reduce
the risks to cyclists, and all road users."

In 2006 19 cyclists were killed in collisions - nine of which involved a
goods vehicle.

The year before 21 cyclists were killed, nine involved lorries and in 2004
four of eight accidents in which cyclists were killed involved lorries.

What it fails to mention is the number of cyclists who have been
crushed against pavement barriers.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net