Old June 30th 07, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:25:59 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Are you saying that trains will not actually run in a circle but would
effectively reverse in the appropriate platform? Passengers would be
forced to change in order to complete a cross Clapham Junction journey?

That fits in with everything I've read. Its considered impossible to run a
reliable orbital service due to pathing and signalling constraints - a bit
like the circle line really...

I think the S Bahn operators in Berlin might disagree with you. They
seem to run a circular Ring Bahn perfectly well and also schedule
overlap services over parts of the entire circuit to bolster frequencies
and provide links onto radial S Bahn lines. I've used it and it seems
pretty reliable to me and also well patronised.

Circular services are only a problem when you try to run them with
inadequate infrastructure or schedules that are too tight - are that
would be why can't run them in this country then!

I believe thats the background to the T-cup proposals for the circle line
and H&C isn't it?

Paul S