Old July 1st 07, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , John Rowland
writes

Paul Terry wrote:

I guess it would be possible for trains to reverse at Clapham Junction
and continue round the circle, but I imagine that it could produce all
sorts of operating problems.

I can't think of any, unless you mean "reverse *promptly* at Clapham
Junction and continue round the circle".

Clockwise and anticlockwise services would have to cross on the level just
outside the station if they were not to terminate at Clapham Junction.

There is another option - if trains didn't visit Clapham Junction at all,
they could go from Imperial Wharf to Wandsworth Road directly, without
reversing. I don't have a track map to hand, but ISTR that this can be
done without conflicting movements across other tracks.

Pathing on the ELLE should be easier, but it is likely that the line
will have to be shared with some sort of SLL service to Victoria, so
there is all sorts of potential for circle-line-like delays - breaking
the service at Clapham Junction should help mitigate that.

The other branch of the ELL will also share with all sorts of things in
the Croydon direction; performance pollution here would be able to spread
to the Clapham branch via the core, albeit probably not very strongly.

tom

--
Destroy! DESTROY! DEEEEEEE-STROY 2000 YEARS OF CULTCHAH!! -- Andrew