Old July 4th 07, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Travel Centres/Bus info

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 14:24:59 -0700, brixtonite
wrote:

On Jul 3, 9:30 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

unhelpful. I have lost count of the people who look at the one at my
local stop and then come away mystified as to when their next bus will
turn up - this is because it says something stupid like every 9-11
minutes rather than actually tell them buses come at 07,17,27,37,47 and
57 minutes past the hour (which is what the real contracted timetable
does actually say).

Does every route have a specified tmetable like this? To be honest
I'm glad that the exact times aren't given on most routes in inner
London during the daytime, since the buses can't stick to them very
closely. (Night buses, and infrequent suburban buses are a different
matter).
But saying buses run every 9-11 minutes is equally bizarre, since
obviously there are plenty of times when you get two buses together
and then nothing for fifteen minutes: 'every ten minutes' is a more
sensible thing for the timetable to say, since '9 - 11' implies
greater accuracy. What is one to make of a timetable that says buses
run 'every 8 - 12 minutes' at some times, and 'every 9 - 10 minutes'
at others?

Yes every service has a real contractual timetable.

A non TfL website has quite a lot of info here

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/details.htm

Click on the route number in the big list to bring up the timetable if
one is available. Note TfL no longer officially produce or publish
proper timetables - IMO it's shameful that a private individual is left
to provide this sort of valuable info for one of the great world cities.

Depending on how frequent a service then service performance may be
measured either on keeping buses running to the broad frequency (for
what TfL call high frequency routes) or to the scheduled timetable (for
low frequency routes)

More info here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/businessan...reports/#faqs2

If my bus service ran every 5 minutes and did so reliably then I really
wouldn't care about a timetable. However I object to being left to just
wander to a bus stop to wait up to 12 minutes just because TfL can't be
bothered to tell me the minutes past the hour a bus runs. Only when
frequencies reach every 15 minutes or less frequently do they put up the
minutes past the hour at the stop. It is also worth noting that many
bus frequencies are not that high early in the morning or late in the
evening even on trunk routes running from Central London.

I recognise things can go wrong and buses do diverge from the timetable
and that's fine if I have access to good information to allow me to make
more informed choices. As I cannot take any decent TfL produced
information with me I have to spend a load of time researching all
possible options before I leave and then scribble them down so if I am
making lots of journeys on unfamiliar services (as I did visiting some
gardens open under the National Garden Scheme the other Sunday). This is
a pain in the posterior - why can't I just pop to a travel info centre
and ask for the timetable leaflets or buy a timetable book? Strange
that even my least favourite commercial operators outside of London can
manage to do this relatively easily.

Overall I think the TfL bus network is pretty damn good but the whole
approach to passenger information I cannot stand.

--
Paul C