Old July 5th 07, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
chunky munky chunky munky is offline

Default Central Line Train Off The Road

On Jul 5, 2:09 pm, "Recliner" wrote:
"chunky munky" wrote in message

oups.com

London, 5 July 2007 - A Metronet spokesperson said: "Shortly after 9am
this morning, the three leading bogies of a Central Line train came
off the rails in a tunnel on the west-bound track between Mile End and
Bethnal Green.

"Whilst it is important not to pre-judge the outcome of the
investigation, our initial reports suggest that a bale of material
became dislodged from its licensed storage position in a tunnel cross-
passage.

"As a precaution, Metronet has ordered an immediate audit of all
similar storage sites used by its staff and contractors - and this
will be completed before the start of service tomorrow morning. To
enable this work to proceed, Metronet has additionally ordered that
all works be suspended tonight, with the exception of essential
maintenance.

We apologise to passengers for the distress that this morning's
incident has caused - and for the inconvenience to the many people
that use the Central line daily.

"Working closely with London Underground, Metronet already has teams
on site to start the work of restoring this section of the line to

Am I right in thinking that 1992 stock has smaller wheels than other
Tube trains and is perhaps more likely to derail when it encounters
something on the track?

All LU Rolling Stock now have the same sized wheels.