Old July 5th 07, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:
Jack Taylor wrote:

I could never understand why they didn't order four-car units for the
North London line from the outset. You only have to look at the
needed.

The 313s weren't ordered for the NLL, they were pinched form the
Welwyn GC/Hertford North lines when demand on those lines had
temporarily fallen.

I'm aware of that, John, being an ECML bod myself - I think that you
misunderstood. By 'from the outset' I meant from the placement of the
order for class 378s. The 313s have been wedged for years, factor in
increased loadings and it seemed ridiculous (as we all said on uk.r at the
time of the order) to place a further order for three-car units.
Fortunately it seems that that has now been recognised by the decision to
increase train lengths to four cars. Apologies if my original statement
was slightly ambiguous.

What doesn't seem to have been explained by TfL is why they suddenly need to
add 3 more whole trains to the original order. Assuming the original order,
split between ELL and NLL as it was, was for the exact number needed to
replace the existing NLL services, does this indicate they have have gained
an agreement with NR to increase frequency on the NLL?

Paul