Old October 27th 03, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Where have all the RMs gone?

Sunny Dale wrote:
"Nes" wrote in message
Sorry if this has been taclked before!

Just wondering why are all the RM-type crew buses being withdrawn?
First the 94, then 15 and now the 11? I know there are others, but
those routes are what first comes to mind.

Nes huge discussion on Smartgroups.

Huh?

Others due to go are the 23 not far off too.

WVL's from SW and more are arriving to replace the 11. No doubt PVLs
and PDLs will occasionally be on there.

And various other TLAs no doubt. What he actually asked was "why?".

Routemasters are being withdrawn because they are becoming increasingly
expensive to maintain in service, because modern buses are more accessible
to less-mobile passengers, and because it's cheaper not to have a conductor.
It is expected that some RMs will be retained on one or two routes as a
tourist attraction, but I'm not aware of any plans for this.

I believe that the 94 is still a Routemaster route on Mondays to Fridays
until January 2004. Perhaps you encountered it at a weekend when they do
use other buses.
--
Richard J.