Old October 27th 03, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Where have all the RMs gone?

Nes wrote:
Just wondering why are all the RM-type crew buses being withdrawn? First the
94, then 15 and now the 11? I know there are others, but those routes are
what first comes to mind.

Because Ken reckons that with bendy buses and off-bus ticketing, an
equivalent or better level of service can be provided with conductorless
buses. We shall see.

It's certain that low-floor double deckers weigh about 1.5x what RMLs
do, per passenger, with fewer seats.

Bendy buses weigh even more, but maybe not on a per passenger basis. It
is rarely possible for them to overtake cycles safely while on the move
in London. This will either slow them down or lead to collisions.

There is vague talk of retaining RMLs on one route, but I wouldn't count
on it. If you want to ride on them in normal service, make the most of
the next year or two.

Colin McKenzie