Old July 7th 07, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Hybrid buses

On Jul 7, 7:26 am, Paul Terry wrote:
They are branded in quite large letters front and rear:

http://www.busandcoach.com/featureStory.aspx?id=640

Interesting article. Not sure these buses will be quite as great as
hoped:

FTA:

"Acceleration from 0 to 30mph takes 18 seconds, comparable with a
diesel bus"

Not sure what diesel bus he's refering to unless its something pre
WW2. I don't have any figures but every bus I've ever been in seems to
get to road speed a damn sight quicker than that.

"The diesel engine is set to run constantly - unlike some hybrid
systems where it shuts down for periods."

So how does that help pollution or fuel economy if the bus is crawling
along in some endless jam? I thought the whole point of hybrids is
they can switch the engine off and crawl on electric power om traffic?

"TfL expects that the battery packs will have to be replaced every
three years, at a cost of around £3,000."

So thats 400 kgs of batteries down to the tip every 3 years not to
mention the new set that has to be manufactured? Oh very green.

B2003