Old October 27th 03, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default Oyster card readers at Ealing broadway tube

"Anteateruk" wrote the
following in:

For about 3 weeks one of the oyster readers to get out of the
station has been broken - it does nothing when you put your oyster
card on it - last week a handwritten note was added to it. During
last week a second reader in the "out" direction broke. This week
those 2 remain broken and 3 of the "in" ones are also broken.
That means there's now only one "in" reader working.

I wonder what has happened.. is it just Ealing that is being
affected by large scale reader failure or is it happening else
where?

In my experience oyster readers have generally all been working apart
from a few on buses. However I've had a different experience with
buying tickets on oyster. I had to try four times before I was able to
buy my student rate ticket. The problem seemed to be that I already had
an adult rate ticket on the card. At Canning Town they gave me a new
card form to fill in. I filled it in and gave it to them but they then
told me to go back when the ticket on the card had 7 days left on it.
When it had reached that stage I tried West Ham, but the woman said the
machine wouldn't let her issue the ticket on oyster but she could sell
me one on paper (which I didn't want). I then tried Canning Town again
but the ticket office was closed for staff training (perhaps to do with
oyster ticket problems?). Yesterday I tried at Plaistow and after a
while two men at the ticket office decided it was because I already had
an adult rate ticket on the card, and so I've ended up with two oyster
cards.

It took me several minutes at each ticket office before I finally ended
up with a ticket. It seems a bit disorganised that they haven't got
this aspect of the system covered better, and that no one seemed to
know what to do. It's a shame because generally I've found having an
oyster very convenient and handy.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.