Old July 8th 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
The Good Doctor The Good Doctor is offline

Default Reuters announce Chiltern Railways for sale

On 8 Jul, 08:28, ONscotland wrote:
On 7 Jul, 22:33, wrote:

On 7 Jul, 18:42, ONscotland wrote:

On 6 Jul, 08:44, wrote:

On 6 Jul, 03:20, TheOneKEA wrote:

On Jul 5, 5:07 pm, Bob wrote:

Possible bidders would include Britain's top five bus and rail
operators, Stagecoach Group (SGC.L: Quote, Profile , Research), Go-
Ahead Group (GOG.L: Quote, Profile , Research), First Group (FGP.L:
Quote, Profile , Research), National Express (NEX.L: Quote, Profile ,
Research) and Arriva (ARI.L: Quote, Profile , Research), as well as
Germany's Deutsche Bahn [DBN.UL] and French bus and rail operator
Keolis, the source added.

Oh wonderful. If any of the usual suspects acquire it I can see
Chiltern getting sucked into a tiolet tank and turned into a shadow of
its clean, reliable, expansionist, common-sense self. Whoopee.

*has horrible mental images of Barbie swirls all over the 168/Xs*

There are suggestions going round that whilst Chiltern is doing very
well on punctuality etc. there are many problems to do with other "key
performance indicators" linked to retaining the franchise that need
very urgent attention. (suggested as one reason behind the change of
MD recently announced) - so whilst it may seem to be doing very well
it could be that there are issues that need to be resolved elsewhere
in the company that we aren't aware of.

Tony

Probably not to do with 'key performance indicators', but my last few
trips on Chiltern have been very disappointing train. A recent journey
to Birmingham was on what was perhaps the grottiest train I have ever
travelled on - the walls inside had ancient coffee stains, the carpets
looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months and the table was
sticky. Yuck.

Their staff are good, and Marylebone station is a credit to them (I
don't think it's a Network Rail one)... but I for one find Chiltern's
reputation better than the reality.

That said, I bet National Express will be keen to pick them up... or
First. Please don't let it be First!
Would a management buy out be viable (afterall that's what led to M40
Trains being created in the first place)

Richard Bowker isn't a fan (so he told me) of buying up other
franchises/businesses.

Tony

I think that when they had nine franchises, I could see why they would
wonder about buying TOCs.
But they've lost seven franchises now. I can't see them standing back
and letting Go Via or First or Stagecoach snapping up an opportunity
like Chiltern. Plus it gets them the Overground again.

Agree 100%. National Express' recent record would indicate that the
only way they will increase the number of rail franchises they hold is
to take over other TOCs.

Obviously, I will eat my words if they win InterCity East Coast!