Old July 9th 07, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default No More Cheques

On 9 Jul, 13:33, Kev wrote:
Does *anyone* still have a personal cheque guarantee card that isn't
also a debit card?

If not, then the difference that this makes to anyone is precisely 0
(since company cheques will still be accepted).

Well my cheque cards aren't debit cards and the company account
doesn't have either a cheque card or a debit card. So I will be
stuffed.

AIUI, company bank accounts don't ever have cheque guarantee cards.
They only exist for personal bank accounts. So your company can still
pay for your Tube tickets by cheque, if you want it to.

Since I use a credit card I don't see what advantage a debit card
gives, except that if I lose it I will have to cover the cost of the
misuse whereas if a cheque is misused then it is fraud pure and simple
and down to the bank.

It means you can spend money conveniently from your current account,
without having to mess about with an obsolete, time-consuming and
expensive technology.

Also, the position on fraud is *exactly the same* for debit cards and
cheques - if someone nicks your money, the bank will refund it once
you ask them and once they've investigated.

(personally, I'd trust "secure electronic encryption" over "a piece of
paper anyone can nick & write whatever they like on", but maybe that's
just me).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org