Old July 9th 07, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colum Mylod Colum Mylod is offline

Default Oyster and bus goes out of service

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 20:16:17 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:45:59 +0100, Colum Mylod
wrote:

I thought there was some clever system to avoid double charging peeps
whose bus was pulled out from under them en route? Last Friday my
journey on a 220 was cut short, caught another 10 mins later. Journey
history shows

06/07/07 19:30 Entry £1.00 £10.60
19:07 Entry £1.00 £11.60

Was the bus already on a short trip when you boarded or were you
curtailed once you had got on? If the latter then the driver should
have waited to transfer you to the next bus or presented you with a
transfer ticket...

I hopped on in Hammersmith in a rush and didn't see the front of the
bus. The driver made no mention there & then of curtailment. At the
next stop he told people it was going 2 more stops. He was apparently
already running late and chucked out before Shepherd's Bush (an odd
place as normally they do that on Wood Lane). As he did, a 220 in
front was just leaving the stop so it was a real sod job of timing.
Waited 10 mins for a follow on 220. No-one got any chits or any comms
to help with continuing. Some mutterings and shaking heads at the bus
stop - such being how civilised people complain before they abandon
buses.

It looked to me the guy was new, green behind the ears, and had been
badly held up on his way north. Way beyond legit driving time?

In fact I think this whole run-short shows a major deficiency in the
bus ticketing that is catered for in other countries: if I need one
bus I pay £1 from prepaid. If I need 2, I pay £2. There should be a
route-based system as bus changing is not normally a pleasure
activity, and it would cater for buses breaking down or going out of
service. I'd like to refer to the NL Strippenkaart system but of
course they're trying to wipe that out and go OV-kaart which for buses
could mean an Oyster situation for bus changes.

Anyway tomorrow morn I'll bother the Oyster line to see what they say.
The journey history of 2x220 boardings at 19:07 & 19:30 should be able
to speak for themselves...
--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com