Old October 28th 03, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
clio22 clio22 is offline

Default tourist question re walking in London

(clio22) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

I'll be visiting London for the first time and, as such, can't gauge
what's walkable. This will determine whether I need to pick up 7-day
Travel Cards or just work with day offpeaks. I'm a decent walker, but
not ready for primetime marathon walking.

I'll be staying in Victoria Station. So far it doesn't look like I'll
be sightseeing out of Zone 1 except for several sidetrips that
wouldn't be covered by a Travel Card, anyway.

I'm trying to find out what's walkable. For example, (1) can I walk
from Victoria Station to Trafalgar Square, stop/rest/eat, and then
walk through Picadilly/St James, Hyde Park Corner to return to VicSta?
(2) Can I walk from VicSta to and through Hyde Park and Kensington
Gardens down to Albert Hall, then back to VicSta as a day's walk, with
rest stops? (3) How about from the Strand through the Inns of Court to
the British Library?

I'm from New York City and am very familiar with Paris, so if it's
easier to juxtapose the walks I asked about to similar distances in
these two cities, that would also be very helpful.

Many thanks for any help.

Bonnie

Thanks so much for all your help. Your responses were particularly
helpful to me in gauging distance and deciding upon tickets. The
reminders about rain and getting tired were good thoughts since I had
quite lost track of both, being so absorbed in trying to calculate
walking distance. And the fact that the DLR is largely above ground is
new information to me, for which I thank you.

This was just wonderful and perfect help. Thank you again.

Bonnie