Old July 10th 07, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
alex_t alex_t is offline

Default Too much information!

Sorry but trains can and do terminate at North Greenwich, West Ham and
Stratford heading east on the Jubilee Line. Similarly on the Northern
Line trains can and do terminate at Euston, Charing Cross, Kennington,
Tooting Broadway and Morden. Some of these are only used on rare
occasions but announcements and displays are needed to cover this.

Well, I use Jubilee frequently and only once the train terminated at
North Greenwich (without any warnings before actually stopping at N.
Greenwich) - everything else continued to Stratford. As for
Northern, I was talking only about the southbound part south of
Kennington - where once again I've yet to catch any train going NOT to
Morden (but I use Northern much less frequently, so I'm probably
wrong).

Anyway, the point is that many other mass transit systems do not
announce the destination if the destination is the end of the line and
most trains usually go there. The announcements only made when the
destination is unusual. LUL for some reason uses more railway-like
announcements, which is understandable on some lines, but rather
strange on others.

If you're bugged by the LU announcements then I can't imagine how you'll
react to the I-Bus system on the bus network.

I was just in the mood for a quick rant. Much better now, thank
you :-)
And don't tell me that you think that all those excessive "security"
or "important" announcements are actually needed.