Old July 10th 07, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Too much information!

On Jul 10, 9:10 pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:40:14 +0100, Paul Corfield

wrote:
These announcements
are not given lightly - they are part of ensuring the safety and
security of the system.

The problem with them is that, because there are too many of them,
they become background noise, and people do not pay attention to them.
IMO, the poster campaigns are far more effective at getting attention
regarding the matters concerned.

As for the "good service" business, I'd rather the term "normal
service" was used, but they don't do any harm, and advising passengers
on what's going on around the network probably is useful so long as it
isn't done too much. It's helped me before. That said, the most
useful manifestation of this information is the plasma screens at the
entrance to stations where one can see problems at a glance.

They did use "normal service" for a while. Every time I heard that
there was a normal service on all lines I thought "So, Circle line not
running, signal failure on the Jubilee ..." etc etc. Good is
definitely not normal.