Old July 11th 07, 01:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default No More Cheques

In message , Jack Taylor
writes

That's similar to the various preserved railways that I am a member of. The
treasurers receive membership fees by direct credit, with the membership
number quoted as the payment reference. The membership secretaries receive
the renewal forms, with the direct credit option ticked. The treasurers (I
presume) periodically confirm the latest batch of payments that have been
received by e-mail to the membership secretary. It's hardly rocket science
and it's far more secure for both parties.

You're right, it's not rocket science, but as you suggest it, it would
cause for us, a number of people more work. These people are all
volunteers so I'm not inclined to be some sort of a job creation scheme
for them.

I'm afraid that, if that is the attitude, then I wouldn't be bothered about
being a member. I've already discontinued my membership of one preserved
railway that I had been a member of for over twenty years, due to their
inability to embrace modern technology (ironic as they are one of the bigger
railways, whilst the smaller ones that I am a member of can function
efficiently).

shrug

You're obviously not that interested in being a member if you can't even
manage to raise a cheque once a year.