Old July 12th 07, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster and bus goes out of service

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 08:16:17PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

Was the bus already on a short trip when you boarded or were you
curtailed once you had got on? If the latter then the driver should
have waited to transfer you to the next bus or presented you with a
transfer ticket.

That would seem somewhat inefficient, especially when you consider
cancelling a busy route like the 38 half way along its journey, which
happens ALL THE TIME. When two or three buses in a row are turned at
somewhere like Hyde Park Corner, it isn't possible for all the
passengers to get on the next 38, and my understanding is that transfer
tickets wouldn't be valid on, say, the 8 which follows an identical
route from there on. Additionally, drivers don't like issuing transfer
tickets before the point at which they're going to turn round, despite
it being far better from the passenger's point of view to change buses
early, as you're more likely to get a seat on the next bus.

Yes, I know why they cancel buses (which is what "curtailed" really
means), and I think it's a good idea, I'm not complaining about that.

the driver should not have dumped you at the roadside if
you were curtailed after you boarded.

Who should I complain to about this every day then? :-)

Nuke a disabled unborn gay baby whale for JESUS!