Old July 13th 07, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
D7666 D7666 is offline

Default North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

There were a number of units transferred to the Victoria a few years ago
(72 stock

Done between 1987 and 1989 - thats 20 years ago now.

At *that* point in time, it was a worthwhile investment, 1967/1972
stock was yet 20/25 years old, at half life, no replacement stock or
major line upgrade in sight, indeed no need for such an upgrade, and
it was the *newer* [1972] cars of the two types that got rebuilt then.

We are now 20 years further on, line upgrades are in plan, and this
time it is the older [1967] of the two types - and I'd suggest much
further along their fatigue life - that are being talked about.

If it is the plan that 1967 stock goes to the Bakerloo then they will
be FIFTY TWO years old at withdrawal.

I can't see how doing this stacks up with Picadilly 1973 stock
repalcement which is some time around 2015 either just before or just
after or at the same time as line ATO.

Why replace 1967 stock in 2019 and 1973 stock in 2015 ?

--
Nick