Old July 15th 07, 02:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default When do NR tickets include tube travel?

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 15, 12:24 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
I don't think the NR fares manual supports your view about 'London
Terminals' being a hypothetical one big station, though, unless you are
actually crossing London.

His comment was Acton Mainline to Clapham Junction, so when he
said "London Terminals" I don't think he meant to invoke the ticket
destination.

That 3rd line 'subject to the route of the rail journey being

undertaken'
seems a bit vague but must imply the routeing guide?

Presumably that's a reference to going to the obvious terminal(s) for
your starting point, using either the shortest route rule or the maps.
The maps for Clapham Junction to London appear to allow Victoria,
Vauxhall and Waterloo direct; then Charing Cross and London Bridge via
Waterloo; and Cannon Street, City Thameslink and Blackfriars via
Waterloo and LB.

Or if we're going all Clive Feather, CJ to LB is permitted via Tulse
Hill, or Croydon, or Croydon and Bromley, or Streatham, Epsom and
Croydon, and so on. The Journey Planner will accept via Croydon but
not Epsom.

AIUI since London Zonal Fares came in we have to tear up the Routeing Guide
for journeys (perhaps excluding season tickets) for journeys between two
stations in Greater London (again, except perhaps where the route involves
going out of the London Travelcard zones.

In the specific case of Acton Main Line (Zone 3) to Clapham Junction (Zone
2), possible routes include:

Paddington - LUL - Victoria (or other routes via Central London). A ticket
charged at the 3 zone plus LUL rate would be required, as you're going into
Zone 1 as well as using LUL.

Ealing Broadway - LUL - Kensington Olympia or West Brompton . This would be
cheaper, involving only Zones 2 and 3, including LUL.

If instead you started off by walking to Acton Central (it's not that far,
and Main Line has a rubbish train service) you could travel on National rail
the whole way. Although Acton Central and Clapham Junction are both in Zone
2, going via Willesden Junction involves straying into Zone 3, so youll need
a ticket charged for Zones 2 and 3, but not including LUL. Or you could
change at Richmond, though this would be more expensive, as you'd stray into
Zone 4.

I'm now not sure which is more complicated, the Routeing Guide or London
Zonal Fares.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...onalFares.html

Peter