Old July 22nd 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default traffic lights in Wandsworth - what's legal?

On Jul 22, 1:55?pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

I believe that the arrows on the carriageway are only advisory.
However, is there a sign in advance of the junction showing the
allocation of lanes, like the one at
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/images/signs172.gif? Someone told me
that these have to be obeyed, but I can't find anything in the
regulations that says so.

It seems unlikely that that particular one would have to be obeyed, since
these commonly appear on roads where the bus lane can also be used by taxis,
and it would seem unlikely that taxis would not be allowed to travel forward
in the left hand lane when they are allowed to use the bus lane.

When I had a storage unit in Smugglers Way, this was a turn I had to
make very often!

Although I did not analyse it as carefully as John has done above, I
always thought there was something "wrong" about the traffic lights,
vis-a-vis the right-hand turn.

John, I think you are right: there would be nothing to stop you from
travelling beyond the stop line in the middle lane when the main light
was green, and then edging over to the right (effectively undertaking
the filter-queue there) and waiting for the right-hand turn light to
turn green. You might get a few hoots from the cars which have been
queueing patiently, but legally I don't think you would be doing
anything wrong.

Clearly, the lights need remedying, and the forward green light ought
to be replaced by a forward arrow light.

Marc.