Old October 29th 03, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Where have all the RMs gone?

In article ,
writes
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:19:31 +0000 (UTC), "Nes"
wrote:

Sorry if this has been taclked before!

Just wondering why are all the RM-type crew buses being withdrawn? First the
94, then 15 and now the 11? I know there are others, but those routes are
what first comes to mind.

They're going because they're old,

Yes.

unreliable,

I've not seen any figures to prove or disprove this one.

cramped,

I have more trouble fitting on newer buses than RMs/RMLs. I find them
some of the most comfortable buses I've ever been on.

cold,

Not in my experience.

dirty

Only the Arriva ones, for some reason.

and rather embarassing museum pieces

"Icons".

in a supposedly world class
capital city.

It *is* a world class capital city.

But I'll still enjoy seeing them in museums!

As will I. But I hope (and suspect) that there will always be some
form of "heritage" operation with them in Central London. That's why
I'm surprised at them vanishing from the 11, 9 and 15. I would have
expected those to form exactly such a heritage network.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for