Old July 25th 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default St Pancras International

"EE507" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 25, 11:57 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Both of these problems can only be rectified by changing the treaty
between the UK and France that allowed the tunnel to be built. While
not
impossible, it would take a great deal of time and effort to make it
happen, and most discussion on these two newsgroups has come to the
conclusion that it is highly desirable from a railway perspective, it
is
unlikely to happen any time soon.

Not forgetting that it suits Eurostar to have what is in effect a non
tariff
barrier to competing new entrants to the cross channel route, so they
aren't
likely to propose a relaxation of the standards. It will be interesting
see eventually if that extends to buying high cost like for like
replacements for the existing trains, rather than 'off the shelf' units
from
the then current range of TGV type trains.

We've since had EC Directives on interoperability. That is another
argument against maglev systems, especially those that use proprietary
technology, according to a report placed on the DfT website
yesterday. Possible implications for revising Tunnel regs?

That's what I'm hinting at really - any revision of the regs is almost bound
to be led by a challenge under EU interoperability regs by a newcomer -
unless of course the EU bring the rules for any long distance tunnel into
line, which I guess has to be unlikely.

Paul