Old July 25th 07, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Bob Bob is offline

Default GOBLIN upgrade TIF finance announced

http://www.dft.gov.uk/press/speeches...ingtogospeloak
quote
The Parliamentary under Secretary for Transport (Tom Harris): The
Department for Transport has today announced a contribution of £18.5m
from the Productivity section of the Transport Innovation Fund (TIF)
to enhance the Gospel Oak to Barking line which is an important rail
artery through east and north London. The improvements will deliver a
number of benefits:
they will enable the line to carry more goods and larger containers
from the important and growing ports in the south east, including the
new development at London Gateway (Shell Haven), to other parts of the
rail network including the West Coast Main Line; and
they will provide rail freight customers with an alternative route
during future maintenance works on the North London Line.
TIF was established by the Future of Transport White Paper (July
2004). Productivity TIF is one part of this fund. It supports
packages and schemes which are expected to make a major contribution
to the UK's economy.
Further Productivity TIF schemes are still under consideration for
funding. Announcements will be made on these on a case by case basis.
Delivered: 25 July 2007
unquote.

Does anybody know what works are covered by the £18.5 million? I would
imagine that the rebuilding Gospel Oak Junction,W10 Gauge clearance,
775metre plus loops etc., and rebuilding embankments at the eastern
end would eat most of this..
Does anybody remember how much the civil engineering on Chiltern's
Evergreen cost - I seem to recall that the full extent of work
necessary on the embankments north of Bicester could not be fully
estimated until the embankments were opened up and their Edwardian
interiors excavated.
Although, it would make long term operational sense, I don't think
that electrification will fit within the budget especially as the
Overground has/is ordering new diesel stock to replace the 150's. I am
also assuming that TfL will be coming up with a contribution in
respect of rebuilding stations, lengthening platforms etc as part of
the Overground project. It would obviously make sense to build this as
an integrated project.