Old July 26th 07, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
R.C. Payne R.C. Payne is offline

Default St Pancras International

Lüko Willms wrote:
Am Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:47:47 UTC, schrieb "R.C. Payne"
auf uk.railway :

2) Trains through the tunnel must meet very stringent safety
requirements. Probably the most awkward of these is the need to be able
to didvide the train to use part of the train to remove passengers so
that a disabled and dangerous half-set can be abandonned in the tunnel,
and the passengers can be evacuated.

This divisibility was a requirement imposed by the IGC
(Intergovernmental Commission) back then, but is no longer a
requirement put forward by Eurotunnel. The minimum requirements are
laid out in Eurotunnel's "Network Statement" which can be found on
their website, following the third section link "Corporate
information", then in the "About us" section of the left hand
navigation column selecting "Our developments".

As Nick D7666 wrote in his reply, most current high-speed trainsets
circulating on European continent would meet the safety requirements
of Eurotunnel in regard to be fireproof, power requirements etc.

I haven't the time to trawl the documents myself, but do they permit the
use of a high voltage bus through the train in the tunnel? Both the
conventional TGV and ICE3 designs (AIUI) employ a high voltage bus along
much of the train length.

Robin