Old October 29th 03, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Rich Martin Rich is offline

Default Where have all the RMs gone?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:31:45 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

They're fun, but they're not comfortable inside (the only place I can
sit is at the front or on the side-facing seats unless I take up 2
seats), and standing is best not attempted unless under 5' 6" in
height.

I agree with you about the height, but only the latest (low-floor)
generation of double-deckers are significantly better. Similarly,
Routemasters are noisier inside than recent double-deckers, but were
smooth and quiet compared to most rear-engined buses of the 1970s and
1980s. Personally I don't find the side-facing seats very
comfortable, but am usually OK on the forward-facing seats whether
upstairs or downstairs.

Again this is a personal reaction, but I much prefer the Routemaster's
firm ride to the softer suspension on newer buses. The very floaty
DAF double-deckers favoured by Arriva are particularly unpleasant, and
have a disconcerting tendency to bob around at bus stops as though
they're moored in slightly choppy waters.