Old July 30th 07, 10:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
BH Williams BH Williams is offline

Default St Pancras International

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"BH Williams" wrote in message

wrote in message
k...
Will the Eurostar connection from St. Pancras employ only overhead wire
as well as the French signalling system for high-speed trains, the start
of which you currently find around Ashford International?

Yes, it does. Currently, both TVM signalling and OCS start just east of
Fawkham Junction, somewhat to the north of Ashford.
Brian

Also - doesn't the TVM & OCS start at the London Tunnel portal at Kings
Cross, so that theoretically any UK train can use St Pancras station
throat and any platform? IIRC the last few km of signalling is more
traditional at the Paris end too?

Paul

Access to the northern end of HS1 is fairly limited, that to and from the
WCML being by the NLL, which presents pathing problems, from the MML being
by a single route from the Down Slow, and that from the ECML also being
single track. All these routes are provided with OCS.
I believe (though I'll have to check) that the station throat does have
lineside signals, TVM-based systems not being very efficient at low speeds.
At the Paris end, the various E*, TGV and Thalys share the conventional
tracks and signalling to a junction just north of Villiers-La Bel-Gonesse-
similar arrangements exist at Gare du Lyon, Montparnasse, Lyon Part Dieu and
Marseille St Charles.
Brian