Old October 29th 03, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin Cox Robin Cox is offline

Default Where have all the RMs gone?

"Nes" wrote in message ...
Sorry if this has been taclked before!

Just wondering why are all the RM-type crew buses being withdrawn? First the
94, then 15 and now the 11? I know there are others, but those routes are
what first comes to mind.

I asked London Buses a similar question last month.

Here's their reply:

=====
.... we are currently reviewing the benefits of replacing
Routemasters with fully accessible buses. Fully accessible buses will enable
all members of the community to use them. The intention is therefore to
remove the vast majority of Routemasters by 2008. Unfortunately, at the
current time we do not know whether some may be retained on "tourist
routes." However, we do recognise that these buses are popular with many
customers and are also an important part of London's transport heritage. We
will bear this in mind before taking any decisions.

In respect of specific routes, the vehicles used are constantly monitored
and decisions are taken to renew vehicles in light of ongoing assessments on
the state of the fleet. I am therefore unable to tell you which routes will
lose their routemasters and when. In respect of route 94, there is no
immediate plan to change the vehicles serving this route.

I am sorry I can not give you a clearer response at this time. Thank you
once again for your continued interest.
=====

Robin