Old July 30th 07, 09:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
BH Williams BH Williams is offline

Default St Pancras International

"EE507" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 30, 9:15 pm, John wrote:

TVM stops at the tunnel portal and lineside signals are provided from
there backed by KVB (a balise based ATP system).

Will E* remove AWS equipment as well as third rail contact gear at
some point?

It's interesting that the trains will continue to require separate
British, French and Belgian safety systems solely to approach the
respective termini (and French classic lines for certain sets of
course). Plenty of complexity there to add to running costs - I
wonder how quickly E* will remove the shoe gear...

Third-rail gear will be removed pretty sharpish, I imagine- it can be a real
pain if it decides to fail in the down position, as I discovered when one
took out some track-circuit- related equipment at the UK portal at the
beginning of a morning shift. They were still fixing it when I finished
eight hours later. There are some concrete blocks at the trackside some
distance before going into the tunnel, intended to knock off the offending
shoes, but this one managed to hang on long enough to spoil my morning.
Brian