Old July 31st 07, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default London vs New York

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Michael Hoffman wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Michael Hoffman wrote:

Peter Robinson wrote:
Michael Hoffman wrote:

Luton does not have a one-seat rail journey to the centre--you
have to take a shuttle to Luton Airport Parkway first.

Eh? Half FCC train stop at Luton Airport Parkway. Or am I
missing the point?

Graham Harrison said that all London airports have direct rail
links to the centre, as opposed to NYC where the "rail link" to
two airports involves getting a rail shuttle from the mainline
rail station.

Actually, i think it was me who said that.

I was pointing out that Luton is not any better than that.

Using Google Maps' routes, Luton Airport Parkway to the terminal
(well, the bus station) is 1.5 miles, Howard Beach or Jamaica to
JFK is 4.9. I wouldn't say that was 'no better', but you're right,
it's still not a distance you'd want to walk, so it's a two-seat
ride.

I've never taken the Luton bus, but the AirTrain is the same system
used for intra-airport travel at both EWR and JFK. If you're going
to count it as being a two-seat ride, perhaps you should also count
the terminal at LGW that doesn't have a rail station (can never
remember which is which).

Fair enough. The criterion should probably be how many seats there are
between baggage reclaim and city centre - i take it the reclaim (and
check-in) for that terminal is in the terminal itself, and not the
main bit? I've never used Gatwick myself ...

You wouldn't normally sit on the short shuttle ride from the north to
the south terminal (I don't remember there being any seats). It's not
much different to the shuttle trains that take you to remote piers in
airports like Stansted, except that it's land rather than air-side. In
fact, it's probably quicker and easier than the walk to the HEx station
from, say, Terminal 1 at Heathrow.