Old July 31st 07, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default London vs New York

"Terry Harper" wrote in message

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:38:51 +0100, Michael Hoffman
wrote:

Ian F. wrote:
"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message

There are two terminals in Gatwick. I've never thought of either
of them as being the "main bit." One happens to have a rail
station, but they both have access via road (and coaches stop at
each one).

Weeell, the south terminal (which has the rail station) was built
first so I always think of it as the "main bit". If you take off
from or land at the north terminal you have to get the little
shuttle thingy to the trains.

Yes, but if you come via some other means of transportation, you
don't. It's not like, say, a satellite terminal at Stansted.

There are also shuttles to the satellite at the South terminal.

Not any more there aren't, and not for several years. You now take
travelators, outbound on the low level and inbound on the high level. I
assume they did away with the airside shuttle a few years ago to fully
segregate arriving and departing pax. There are still a few relics of
the old shuttle track visible, which is one of the few (or only) airside
abandoned railways in the UK.