Old August 2nd 07, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default Crossrail franchise

wrote in message
oups.com
On Aug 2, 7:46 pm, " wrote:
On Aug 2, 7:11 pm, W14_Fishbourne
wrote:

It may have escaped your notice but Maidenhead and Shenfield are not
part of London, so why should Ken or Boris run the trains that serve
them? Fine by me if London ratepayers pick up the tab, but I somehow
suspect that that's not the intention.

Indeed, but then neither are Amersham, Epping or Watford.

In the 1930s this was solved by making the responsible body be a
committee, with various representation from London, Essex,
Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Kent, Buckinghamshire and Surrey.

--
Abi

I think any discussion about Cross Rail is premature. Very.

I cant seen any such line opening before 2016/7, even if it is
approved, and if there is finance available.

It's another Thameslink millstone......

With the binary Olympics mindset* currently prevailing, it's hard to
imagine construction work on Crossrail starting before 2012. Given that
it'll probably take another five years to build, 2017 does seem like the
earliest likely opening date, assuming it's not abandoned long before
that.

* If you can put an Olympics tag on it, there are no funding or other
obstacles; if not, forget it.