Old October 29th 03, 05:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mait001 Mait001 is offline

Default Where have all the RMs gone?

I have a lot of difficulty with this "proportion" argument, though.
Something's either legal or illegal and I still can't see how a "small"
subsidy was enshrined in law as okay, while a "large" one was not.

The real point, Ian, was that this was an overtly political act (a "small
subsidy would have gone largely unnoticed) and that's why Conservative Bromley
challenged it.

That said, thanks for explaining the detail of the relevant act in your
other posting on this thread. I've never seen that done on this matter
in detail before and much appreciated it. I still don't think it's
right but then who am I as a mere mortal to argue with Lord Denning et
al? ;-)

Thanks for your compliment.

I treasure a moment when, around 1986, Ken was invited to speak after dinner at
my Inn, when amongst those in the audience were several of the Judges who had
judged against him. Ken unwisely started on some class war nonsense about upper
class judges being against him and the working classes, and one Judge got up
and rebuked him thus: " I went to my local council primary school, won a
scholarship to my local garmmar school, I served my country in the War, rising
to the grand rank of sergeant major, read for the Bar whilst a P.O.W., then
did pupillage where I was earning a Guinea a week doing traffic accident cases,
then worked my way up and used the bus and tube every day of my working life
and still do when sitting in London". Ken's embarrassment was a picture!

Marc.