Old August 3rd 07, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Grit in the Oyster

In message , at 19:47:45 on Fri, 3
Aug 2007, tim..... remarked:

Adding new bits to a mobile buggers up the standby time.
And as longer standby time is the holy grail that the
networks keep demanding the extra bits don't happen
until everyone is sure that there is a need.

E.g. 10 years ago I worked for a Cambridge company whos
MD had just patented a way of integrating GPS into a phone
(you may know him?).

It doesn't ring any bells I'm afraid.

Everyone thought that this was going to be rolled out in a couple, of
years - they are still waiting.

And I've even seen people claiming they were going to become
universal/mandatory.

What I think might be handy is something about the same size as the very
latest slimline phones, and which includes a chip which can mimic all
the different rfid smartcards (a bit like a universal TV remote), and
give a display of recent transactions or whatever. I'd pay twenty quid
for something like that.

Heh, no-one can patent that now...