Old August 3rd 07, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default West London Tram

thoss wrote:
At 13:14:10 on Fri, 3 Aug 2007 asdf opined:-

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:51:28 +0100, thoss wrote:

Today's Ealing Gazette has a story that Ken has suspended the WLT
until after Crossrail opens, if that goes ahead.

I hadn't heard anything about this, so I went to
http://www.london.gov.uk to look for an announcement.

And it's there, under the utterly irrelevant heading of "Crossrail".

Hidden amongst a press release that digresses repeatedly onto the
subject of Crossrail is the news that WLT has been cancelled.

Ken doesn't seem to want us to find out about it, though. If he's
going to cancel a major transport project he could at least have the
guts to tell us.

According to the Ealing Gazette article (they interviewed Ken when he
visited somewhere in Ealing for a photoshoot) it's not cancelled, just
put on hold. Maybe he's just trying to confuse the enemy with
contradictory statements.

The idea of WLT being "put on hold" seems to be a spin invented by the
Ealing Gazette, as the joint press release that appears on both the Mayor's
and Ealing's websites makes no mention of this. Both parties will proceed
to work on "a bus-based solution rather than the tram originally envisaged".
--
Richard J.