Old August 4th 07, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
whos2091 whos2091 is offline

Default West London Tram

The idea of WLT being "put on hold" seems to be a spin invented by the
Ealing Gazette, as the joint press release that appears on both the Mayor's
and Ealing's websites makes no mention of this. Both parties will proceed
to work on "a bus-based solution rather than the tram originally envisaged".

It's disappointing but inevitable. I have posted before on how
surprised I have been at the depth of feeling against the tram in the
Ealing area where I have been working for 2 years. And, in all
honesty, I am coming round to the idea that the scheme is something of
a waste of money compared to a much cheaper bus based scheme.

For instance, my daily journey of Acton Central to a couple of stops
after Ealing Broadway could be reduced by half from the current 20
minutes (and I think this is a conservative estimate) by some simple
and relatively cheap measures:

1. Enforce a zero-tolerance on parking on the High Street in Acton
(particularly during rush hour) - every single day buses are delayed
through this narrow stretch by inconsiderate parking
2. Prioirity bus lanes/traffic lights on the Western end of the High
Street in Acton (and to the west of that stretch going the other way)
3. Stop buses parking on the eastbound Uxbridge Road at the tram depot
(why is this ever allowed??) and knock down the pavement-side wall of
the Tram Depot allowing easier access for buses terminating at the
Tram Depot heading west.
4. Priorirty bus lane/traffic lights on the A406 crossing both ways
5. A bus lane between A4020 westbound between the A406 and the
junction with The Common with - preferably - priority traffic lights
at the junction
6. Zero tolerance on bus lane parking on Ealing Broadway (again there
is not a day without several cars parked on this stretch during the
morning and evening rush hour)
7. Bus lane at the western end of the Ealing Broadway to allow buses
to pass traffic turning right between the 2 town hall buildings

Jase