Old August 4th 07, 08:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Crossrail franchise

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

This map was pointed out recently on ORR site, gives a fair idea of
the impact of crossrail on the existing lines...

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pd...le_line_GW.pdf

Interesting!

Just west of the portal is a feature comprising a plethora of
crossovers, a two-track siding, through lines and a platform around
the whole lot. I assume this is the famous Westbourne Park turnback
siding. I read recently that it would be possible for passengers to
be turned off the train here; i assume that's what the platform's
for. However, the map makes it look like there will be platform faces
on the through lines as well.

Not necessarily. The map makes no distinction between a platform edge
facing the track and the back of a single platform bounded by a wall. Look
at platforms 1 and 12 at Paddington, for example.

However, one would expect a turnback siding with two tracks would have at
most an island platform bewteen the tracks. Perhaps there is an intention
to have platforms on the running lines here for emergency use.
--
Richard J.