Old August 5th 07, 11:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Crossrail franchise

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Mr Thant wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

Just west of the portal is a feature comprising a plethora of
crossovers, a two-track siding, through lines and a platform around the
whole lot. I assume this is the famous Westbourne Park turnback siding.
I read recently that it would be possible for passengers to be turned
off the train here; i assume that's what the platform's for. However,
the map makes it look like there will be platform faces on the through
lines as well. Is this then, in effect, a station? Just one where no
trains will stop?

The environmental statement specifically states the sidings will have
four tracks/platforms, so I'm surprised to see there aren't two running
lines in addition. The northernmost platform appears to double as the
eastbound running line.

It says:

"8.3.6 A reversing facility will be constructed at Westbourne Park, to the
west of Royal Oak portal to enable Crossrail trains terminating at
Paddington to turn around. To meet safety requirements that all trains are
cleared of passengers before going out of service, Crossrail must provide
a facility where trains terminating at Paddington can be inspected. To
ensure that services following behind are not significantly delayed, the
facility needs to ensure that trains being inspected can be overtaken or
two trains can be inspected concurrently.

"8.3.7 The reversing facility will consist of:

- two 210 m length island platforms and four tracks; and
- emergency access to/from the street via footbridges."

The key phrase seems to me to be "trains being inspected can be overtaken
or two trains can be inspected concurrently"; the 'or' means that you need
to be able to have a through train overtake a single stopped train, or to
have two trains stopped at once. Two roads in either direction does that.
Now, this description, and the maps attatched, indicate that we've got an
Edgware Road-like setup, with all four roads going through around two
islands. The diagram i was commenting on above shows something different -
through lines at the edge, and terminating bays in the middle. I assume
that's just out of date.

tom

--
Love as a principle and order as the basis; progress as the goal.