Old August 8th 07, 06:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Default West London Tram

On Aug 3, 12:51 pm, thoss wrote:
Today's Ealing Gazette has a story that Ken has suspended the WLT until
after Crossrail opens, if that goes ahead.
--

More News from Ealing

http://www.ealingtimes.co.uk/display...601275.0.0.php

Tram 'isn't over until it's over'
KEN LIVINGSTONE'S announcement last week that he will scrap the West
London Tram plans has been cautiously welcomed by Conservative London
Assembly member Richard Barnes.
The London Mayor had been pushing for the project to go ahead to solve
congestion problems on the Uxbridge Road, although it has been
attacked by residents and shopkeepers alike.
But Mr Barnes, the Ealing and Hillingdon representative, has attacked
the mayor for the £38 million squandered' on the scheme. He said: "I'm
glad that the Mayor has seen the light - albeit after £38m has been
spent on a project the people didn't want.
"Mr Livingstone's blind arrogance in pursuing this scheme, against the
wishes of the people, and spending millions of pounds of their money
in the process illustrates his willingness to play politics with
people's lives.
"The everyday experience of people who use any part of the proposed
tram's route would have been of massive inconvenience, and businesses
would have suffered.
"If Crossrail doesn't go ahead and the West London Tram is brought
back off the shelf then he can say he was forced into it by the Prime
Minister, Gordon Brown."
"It isn't over until it's over, and it ain't over yet."
4:29pm Tuesday 7th August 2007

Residents of Ealing - it's over. Other projects in areas where they
are welcomed by the local community will be built first. Gordon Brown
will not force Ken's hand. A few years of stewing in your own
congestion followed by the introduction of the "Heathrow and
surrounding areas congestion charge" is what now awaits you. As for
Crossrail - remember half the trains will not run west of Paddington.
And now for your further entertainment I shall read my latest
selection of Vogon poetry.