Old August 12th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default No Cycles Between Stations?

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:02:45 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

I thought the bike thing was to do with the need to be able to evacuate
out the ends. Does Merseyrail have tunnels where it's possible to go out
the sides instead?

The Loop tunnels are fairly tight, but I imagine it would be possible
to squeeze out between the train and the tunnel walls in most places -
though I doubt that would be the official evacuation route.

It's probably because the coaches are wider and as such a bike can be
easily moved out of the way. I note that they appear to be permitted
on all sections of the (larger) sub-surface lines.

That said, thinking on bikes does vary in different locations. In
Hamburg, for instance, bikes are permitted on all public transport
including buses (you just put it in the wheelchair place and keep hold
of it) though I think in a year I only once saw someone actually do
so, as it's a bit of a rescue service as actually riding the bike
tends to be faster than bus travel anyway.

Neil

--
Neil Williams