Old August 12th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mr Thant Mr Thant is offline

Default Extend the ELL to Alexandra Palace?

On Aug 12, 7:12 pm, somersetchris somersetchris.
wrote:
First of all at Dalston there will be a complete remodelling done when
the ELL arrives there. It would not be hard for the trains to be able
to go to Finsbury Park via Canonbury tunnel when this remodelling is
done. I have not seen the plans for the junction, but I suspect that
there will be a lead from the ELL towards the number 1 lines at Dalston
(the number one lines are the lines with overheads, number 2s have third
rail).

That's still a flat junction, so I'm not sure it's operationally any
better than crossing all the tracks at the Canonbury end.

The actual line which now goes to Finsbury
Park could become a bi directional line allowing trains to run towards
Canonbury.

The expensive-to-fix bottleneck that would leave you with might be
enough to kill the whole project.

So what is required is new points [...] at the junction of the Parkland walk.

The walk currently ends with a blunt abutment high above the ECML, and
at a fairly sharp angle to it. It requires a lot more than points.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London